Let's talk about Memorial Day picnics. You want to take something... different. Potato salad is always a staple, but boring. But not this one, it's a staple in my family, but if you play around with the recipe, you can make it your own.
• 3 pound potatoes, you want nice chunks. I like baby Yukon Golds. They are buttery and hold on to what dressing you put onto them.
• A bunch of celery, chopped, you want the tops (the leaves too, there is a TON of flavor there!)
• One onion, chopped
• 6 eggs, hard boiled, 5 chopped, one sliced for garnish
• Vegetable Oil
• Cider Vinegar
• Salad dressing (like Miracle Whip), Mayonnaise, or Sour Cream
I am not giving you measurements for the oil and vinegar, and the salad dressing (mayo or sour cream). There is a reason for this. You'll see why in a minute.
1. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 minutes and drain. If you are using the Yukon Gold, leave the skins on, they are SO tender. Drain.
2. In a measuring cup, pour in ¼ cup of cider vinegar and fill it to 1/3 c with vegetable oil (if you are going to use Miracle Whip or Sour Cream) OR ½ c of cider vinegar and fill it to 1/3 c with oil if you are going to use Mayo. Add the oil and vinegar the hot potatoes and let it set while you get everything else ready.
3. Add all the other ingredients, stir until well mixed. Garnish with the sliced egg.
Another tasty salad that you can make is a green salad. Now, before you start thinking that what is meant is the lettuce and tomato thing, get that image right out of your head. This is far better!
• 2 packages frozen Brussels sprouts (I can hear you saying "EWWWWW!", trust me, this is a GREAT salad!), defrosted and warm, but not cooked 'til mushy, cut the big ones in half
• 2 bell peppers, I like to use a green one and a red one, cut into chunks
• 1 English cucumber
• 1 pound of mushrooms, sliced
• One small bottle, commercial Italian salad dressing
Combine everything except the mushrooms, and mix well. Put in the refrigerator and let it marinate at least 4 hours. Right before serving, add the mushrooms.
Both salads are easy and very tasty. I hope that you give them a try this Memorial Day, and let me know what you think!